The Philadelphia Eagles head fired Doug Pederson 4 days ago. The head coaching search has been one that’s cast a wide net. Here’s everything we know, as of January 15th.
- Robert Saleh – has reportedly taken the New York Jets job
- Arthur Smith – Current Titans Offensive Coordinator
- has reportedly been offered the Atlanta Falcons job, but the Eagles were reportedly, “really impressed” according to Derrick Gunn.
- Joe Brady – Current Panthers Offensive Coordinator
- The 31-year-old Brady is renowned for his offense that has unlocked several players both on the college and professional level. At LSU with Brady as the Passing Game Coordinator and Wide Receivers coach, the offense scored 48.4 points per game and rode Brady’s offense to a National Championship win.
- Under Brady, Joe Burrow elevated his game tremendously. Burrow threw 60 TDs and just 6 interceptions. Ja’Marr Chase led FBS with 20 TDs and NFL offensive rookie of the year front-runner, Justin Jefferson, led FBS with 111 receptions and was 2nd (behind Chase) with 18 TDs.
- With the Panthers, Brady had 4 players reach 1,000 scrimmage yards.
- Jerod Mayo – Current Patriots Inside Linebackers Coach
- The 34-year-old has only coached for 2 years. Mayo is, “universally praised for his knowledge of the game,” according to the Patriots website. As a former player and 1st Round Pick, Mayo’s football IQ and ability to relate to players could prove to propel him above other candidates.
- Kellen Moore – Current Cowboys Offensive Coordinator
- Moore’s offense is predominantly what led the Eagles to him. Specifically, what he was able to unlock in Dak Prescott. Under Moore as either offensive coordinator or quarterbacks coach, Prescott has thrown for the highest completion percentage, yards per game, touchdowns (30), and yards per completion.
- Todd Bowles – Current Buccaneers Defensive Coordinator
- The 57-year-old is the elder statesman of the Eagles coaching search. He is also the only candidate that has head coaching experience at the NFL level.
- With the Buccaneers, Bowles defense has ranked top 5 in pressures and number 1 against the run in both of his years as defensive coordinator (2019-2020). The defense has also ranked in the top 10 in DVOA in both seasons.
Reported to have Interest in
- Lincoln Riley – Current University of Oklahoma Head Coach
- The interest is real from Philadelphia’s side, but Riley has been reported to be, “content to stay where he’s at for now,” according to Paul Domowitch
- Brian Daboll – Current Bills Offensive Coordinator
- There hasn’t been much noise connecting Daboll and the Eagles other than a report by John Clark of NBCS
- Daboll is widely regarded for elevating the game of Josh Allen to the upper echelon of quarterbacks. Daboll has connection to the Eagles, as he was the offensive coordinator at Alabama during Eagles quarterback, Jalen Hurts sophomore season.
- Mike Kafka – Current Chiefs Quarterbacks Coach
- Not much is known about this relationship except 1) Kafka was drafted by the Eagles in 2010 and 2) The Andy Reid connection is strong here
- I personally, think this is more about a potential offensive coordinator role
- Duce Staley – Current Eagles Running Backs Coach
- Staley is the in house candidate of this Eagles coaching search. Staley has been the Eagles running backs coach since 2013 and was elevated to assistant head coach before the 2020 season.
- Under Staley, the Eagles rushing attack has ranked in the top 10 of the league 4 times and the years it wasn’t top 10—2015, 2016, 2018, and 2019—the rushing offense ranked 14th, 11th, 28th (UDFA Josh Adams led the team in rushing), and 11th respectively.
- Staley is widely regarded as one of the best leaders within the organization. Multiple Eagles players have voiced their respect and admiration for Staley. The main thing with Staley has been his ability to command a room. Keep in mind, Lurie reportedly wants the, “best football CEO he can find,” according to Paul Domowitch.